29 July 2007

Exhibitions and Ranting

Well, I'm slowly making my way with my commission. Its time consuming and I'm feeling rather over whelmed by it at the moment ~ it seems never ending. I know it will suddenly come together, but its not there yet. I can't help but worry... I'm the worlds top worrier!

I was thinking, as I was working today, about the Artaboyne exhibition that is currently showing. Which is, by the way, very good and if you are near by take the time to go to see it. Everybody I have spoken to who have been to see it is very impressed by the vast amount of wonderful work displayed, from paintings and photography to sculpture, jewellery and ceramics (of course!).

Anyway! I digress!

Just before the Artaboyne someone from my pottery class said they had just met another artist (jeweller in fact), who was (as she put it) in a panic about having everything ready in time ~ I said also that I too was worried, but getting there. She seemed really very amazed & said that she couldn't see what we were fussing about or why it mattered so much ... after all it is surely so easy when you know what you are doing!

I cannot stop thinking about this comment! AGHHHHH!

I have come to the conclusion if you filled a conference hall with all the people (from artists, press, general public, tourists and who ever else) that might go to see the exhibition, and ask them to present a topic from work... nerves/stage fright would set in...
Yes OK! To the person who does this for a living there must be an element of discomfort, but, it isn't personal you can be detached.
What if, you had to strip off buck naked and do this ... I guess that most people would think twice at this point?
Now how about if every single person decided to say there thoughts and frankly say exactly what they were thinking, then there, you just about have it! Of course you would be nervous and unsure. It would be only natural.

Everybody is an art critic. Everybody has a point of view.

I am selling a little bit of me; I am selling something that I have physically made and REALLY thought about. After all if who ever buys a piece and takes it home they have give you the thumbs up. That is the approval, the thumbs up and appreciation of what I have made that I work for, and helps me to earn my living ... so I have to get it right.

Does this make any sense to you? Am I spouting off ... don't answer that one! Funny how such an innocent comment has really rattled my cage. I think, because I'm so stressed about the commission, the studio gallery being open 7 days a week, that fact that I have NO time for my children at the moment and it is their summer holidays (weather not helping) I have put this out of proportion. But, I am frustrated that they think living the life as an artist is easy... its not... it is great most of the time, but sometimes is F*#king tough too and I wish more people could see that.

Maybe my ranting will change someones perception about what happens, I don't know! But, I feel better for that! Ahhhh. Breath out and smile Emma ... Tomorrow is another day... Hope you have a good one too!

No comments: