2 April 2007

Pomegranate - £80 (GBP)


Study of a pomegranate in acrylic on box canvas. The image continues around the edges so there is no need to frame and it is ready to hang.
255mm x 255mm x 40mm

This was a strange painting for me, I didn't really enjoy painting it in the beginning, but I quickly stopped myself from looking at it in too much detail and then quite literally went for it... letting the colours and my hands do the work. I got rather carried away and enjoyed it very much in the end! Lots of people have commented on it saying they like it the best so far, but I'm not sure. I suppose, because it isn't exactly how I imagined it to turn out, it doesn't sit well with me for now ~ but it is growing on me.

My confidence has had a little knock lately, as my husband kindly said they were my "toilet and kitchen pieces"... I was taken totally aback by this comment, even a little disappointed that he thought so little of my work... but stopping myself from going all dramatic(!) I realised he meant that they are fun, simple paintings with nothing more to offer other than being what they are ~ and I'm sticking to that explanation! I'm having fun doing this, so I guess I have captured something other than the object painted and people seem to really like them.

This is such a new learning curve for me. I want to express myself in some manner, but fruit and veg aren't really the way of speaking to people. I really enjoy learning through these works, and am happy doing this for now... but as I have said before I want to find that thing that I cannot stop myself from doing... as if addicted or possessed. But I'm just grasping at straws now ~ I don't think painting still life's for ever more will keep me happy for ever more!

Anyway here is the first of many images I wanted to show you. Over the next few days I'll be popping many more posts onto my blog, from work in progress to my first clay sculptural piece in a while and more, so keep watching!

No comments: